The Glasgow Tigers welcomed the Yorkshire Academy Rams to Nethercraigs on Sunday for their first home game of 2019. After both teams lost their opening fixture, a win would be massively important for both sides.

First half

That importance was clear from the start, as the Tigers and Rams fought through a cagey first half of the game. In a tough defensive battle, both teams found it difficult to gain any momentum.

Tigers running back Mo Adams breaks away from the Yorkshire Academy Rams (Picture by Duncolm Photography)

Veteran Tigers lineman Craig Begg provided one of the few first half highlights as he rose to block a Rams field goal attempt. The Rams key moment in the opening two quarters came as a big offensive drive by the Tigers was halted inside the Rams 20 yard line by a huge fumble recovery by the Yorkshire defence.

The teams headed into the half scoreless, and both the Tigers and their opponents came out for the third quarter desperate to break the duck.

Second half

Big runs from Mo Adams – who rushed for more than 100 yards for the second time this season – had the Tigers inside the Rams 10 yard line when another forced fumble saw the ball spill into the end zone – and the game’s first point came from an unlikely source as Tigers right tackle Jamie Issacson jumped on the ball to recover it for a Tigers Touchdown.

Celebrations from Issacson and his fellow offensive linemen were a sight to behold as they toasted one of the rarest sights in football. The Rams went on to block the point after attempt, leaving the score 6-0 to the Tigers.

Tigers linebacker David Carney with former Tiger Nick Halfpenny, now playing for Yorkshire Academy Rams

The Tigers defence came up big in the second half, with superb performances from linebacker David Carney – who led the team with eight solo tackles and six assists – and defensive lineman Sean Carney, who stopped a drive which could have brought the Rams level with a key fumble recovery.

In the secondary, the Tigers’ defensive backs also put in an impressive showing as Robb Gould came away with his second interception in two weeks while fellow DB Ryan Campbell picked off the Rams twice, almost taking it all the way on his second interception.

Led by the defence, the Tigers held firm deep into the 4th. Despite good Tigers drives being held up by penalties, the home side were finally able to add on to their lead when QB Jig McCoy ran the ball in from 11 yards – his 2nd touchdown run in two games capping off an impressive 100+ yard game.

This time, Jason Maclean made no mistake as he sent the ball through the uprights to make it 13- 0 to the Tigers. With time running out, the Rams looked to the aerial game to try and salavage anything from the long road trip, but Ryan Campbell ensured the game would be safe with the interception and a 37 yard return.

The Tigers now have a week without a game, but the team will be putting in work on the training field as they prepare for an away trip to the Gateshead Senators on Sunday, May 12.

Categories: News