As the COVID-19 lockdown continues, we’re delving back into our archives to remember  some of the best games in Glasgow Tigers history. This week, our time machine takes us back to July 2015.

The Tigers went into the game with a 4-4 record, while opponents the West Coast Trojans sat atop the division having gone unbeaten through the early part of the year. The Tigers visited the division leaders for the first of two back-to-back games at a crucial time in the 2015 season.

Here’s the original match report, with photographs provided by our friends at Digitalpict Photography throughout.

The Trojans came into the game unbeaten and top of the table but the Glasgow Tigers set the tone in the first quarter when Fearghus Maher recovered a fumbled kick off return, and while the Trojans defence held the Tigers to a three and out, Liam Baird recovered the ball back for the Tigers when he scooped in a fumbled punt return. Both teams then had short drives before the Tigers opened the scoring with a Mo Adams 46-yard run and then then the Trojans replied with a big 60-yard Gary McNey pass for a touchdown.

The second quarter saw the Trojans move up the field on a big McNey pass, but the drive was stopped when Liam Baird made an interception and returned it for 30 yards. Then after a long drive the Trojans managed an interception of a wayward Darnell Starks pass. The Trojans turned the ball over when linebacker Stevie Munro forced a fumble with Corin Mack making the recovery.

The ensuing drive saw the Tigers move ahead on a Mo Adams 10 yard run and a nice Darnell Starks pass to Scott Vallance for the conversion. As the West Coast offence tried to get back into the game, up stepped Jamie Boyd with a big interception for the Tigers to leave them with a short field. Tigers quarterback Darnell Starks zipped a nice pass into the hands of Robb Gould and the speedy receiver did the rest for another score, while Mo Adams tagged on the conversion run and a 22- 6 half time Tigers lead.

In the third quarter the Tigers added another touchdown after a long drive when QB Starks ran it in from 22 yards out. Liam Baird then outran the coverage for the conversion. The remainder of the quarter saw both defences hold out, and the Trojans Connor Nicholson intercepted a Tigers pass and returned it 25 yards before he with tackled by centre Kenny Glover, and then James Lindsay returned the favour by getting an interception to stop a Trojans drive – his second in as many games.

The fourth quarter saw a big Trojan comeback as they had a Josh Polson 35-yard run for a touchdown and added the conversion, then a huge 62-yard punt return and McNey pass conversion brought them really back into the game at 30–22. The comeback was complete when Gary McNey hid another 60-yard bomb to his receiver and then added the conversion pass to make it 30–30.

The victorious Tigers celebrate breaking the Trojans unbeaten run (Picture by Digitalpict Photography)

Now with four minutes left in the game it was all to play for, and the Tigers managed a final score when Darnell Starks ran it in from four yards out. The Trojans tried to mount a reply on the back of some Chris Lang runs and move down the field – but they were stopped by Andy Currie who intercepted a Gary McNey pass to allow the Tigers to take a knee and end the game. Some great plays on display here from both sides who gave 100%.

This win improves the Tigers record to 5–4 and sets up an interesting re match against the Trojans next week.

For more on the Glasgow Tigers throughout the 2020 off-season, make sure to follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Categories: News